Thursday, October 31, 2013

Carrot Chutney


Carrots are rich source of Vitamin A, it has got slight sweet taste which attracts people of all ages. We can bet not even a single person can hate carrot. It tastes great in raw form or in poriyal,sambhar ,as a sweet or even cake.

My mom used to prepare carrot poriyal for my lunch. Its easy to prepare during the morning rush hours. Here in US, I could find carrots in all colors white, purple or yellow. Though the other color ones are not as sweet as the regular orange ones, I like the orange ones. After marriage, I came to know about carrot sambhar or rice. My hubby loves both. I have carrot cake in my to-do list, which I have to definitely give a try once

Carrot chutney is a unique recipe, the sweetness gets masked by the addition of garlic and onions.It tastes great with idly or any kind of dosas.


Carrot Chutney

Serves - 4
Preparation time - 30 minutes

Ingredients :

Small onions - 5 or Medium onion - 1
Carrots 2
Red chili - 1
Garlic - 1 big clove
Salt - as per taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - few

Method:


Carrot Chutney



Chop onions roughly and carrots into big squares. Cut garlic into big pieces. Tear the red chili into half.
In a pan heat a table spoon of oil , add garlic then red chili once it turns big, include onions fry for a minute. 
Then add carrots and keep frying. Close cook for 5 minutes. It will get cooked. 
Allow it to cool, then grind it with salt. 
In a pan, heat a table spoon of oil. Add mustard seeds, once it splutters, then urad dal. 
Urad dal turns slightly brown then add curry leaves and mix it with chutney. 


Enjoy with idly or dosa.

Thanks for reading 
VP




No comments:

Post a Comment